Thursday, May 15, 2008

Me, a top 25 young entrepreneur in Asia? - Timothy Tiah

This is Timothy Tiah, co-founder of Nuffnang. He is one of the 25 finalists nominated for the title of Best Young Entrepreneur in Asia for 2007 facilitated by BusinessWeek. These finalists are nominated by the readers and the magazine’s editors and reporters in Asia. The good news is that Timothy is a Malaysian!

We have the privilege to ask him some questions and here are his replies. May his sharing inspire our readers especially Malaysians to believe nothing is too impossible - “Malaysia Boleh!”

1) How old are you now and when did you started your own business?

I am 23 years old and I started working on Nuffnang more than a year ago although we officially launched Nuffnang on the 27th February 2007.

2) What inspired you to set up your own business - Nuffnang?
I found the need for Nuffnang.

When I was still a student, I was working on a non-profit Tuition-matching service website called Tuitionhamster.com. For a long time we have explored ways in trying to market the website and we found that blog advertising was effective in promoting the site.
About the same time, I had also started blogging and discovered that there were hundreds and thousands of blogs out there. However, they lacked a hub that could link them all up and promote their ad space to advertisers. That was the idea behind Nuffnang and with the help of my partner, we build the company to what it is today.

3) What were some of your constraints you face since you started on your own? Is age one of your hindrances?

Age is only a hindrance if you let it be. I accepted the fact that I am young and realized that I may be inexperienced compared to others who are older. Bearing this in mind, I am always opened to the suggestions and advice of those who are more experienced and wiser. The experience and advice of others help me even though I may not have the “actual” experience.

4) What kind of advice can you give to young people of today if they aspire to be entrepreneurs?

The most important thing I learned was that business is not about getting all your moves right. It’s about learning all the wrong moves you made so that you’ll never make them again.
Bravo, Timothy! Let’s hope more Malaysians will make it to the Top 25 in the years to come. - email daripada Dalifaeni

No comments: